The City of Orange was incorporated in 1888. However, Orange dates back to 1869 when Alfred Chapman and Andrew Glassell, both lawyers, accepted 1,385 acres of land from the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana as legal fees. Soon thereafter, the men laid out a 1-square mile town with 10-acre farm lots surrounding a 40-acre central town site.
The center of the town site became known as the Plaza, which has become
the symbol of the community. Today, the Plaza and the original one
square mile town site contain many homes and buildings dating to the
early days of the City and the site is registered on the National