The Cypress barrio grew up in proximity to the packinghouses. The neighborhood was bounded by Walnut Avenue to the north, Palm Avenue to the south, Glassell Street to the east and the railroad tracks to the west. Another small neighborhood grew up around the 100 block of N Cypress (El Otro Barrio/The Other Barrio). The center of Cypress Barrio was in the 400 block of N Cypress, between Sycamore and Walnut. Some of the early housing for Mexican families consisted of older homes that were moved to the low-lying properties near the railroad lines. Two Anglo businessmen owned many of the little houses and rented them out.
Segregation from Anglo residents of Orange was a part of school life for the Mexican-American children. Children in the Cypress Barrio attended the Lemon Street School, but there were 2 buildings, 1 for the Anglo and another for the Mexican. In 1946, schools were desegregated and all neighborhood children in the Cypress barrio attended the newly-integrated Killefer School, the Intermediate School, and Orange Union High School.
View a sample of the photographs collected during the Shades of Orange project. The entire collection is available from Orange Public Library's Local History photo database, just use the search phrase Shades of Orange to view the entire collection. Add an additional search word (like a name) in the second search box to narrow the search.