The Local History Collection of the Orange Public Library was established in 1988 under a Library Services & Construction Act Grant. Its purpose is to collect, preserve and make available to the public materials relating to the historical development of the City of Orange and Orange County.
The Collection consists of the Florence Flippen Smiley Memorial Archives, on permanent loan from the Orange Community Historical Society, as well as numerous items acquired by the Library through purchase or donation.
Covering the period 1871 to the present, this rich and diverse collection includes books, periodicals, photographs, manuscripts, maps, pamphlets, ephemera and artifacts. A variety of subject areas are represented, with particular emphasis on the citrus industry, old businesses, civic and religious organizations, and city agencies.