Library Board of Trustees
- 3:30 pm
- Third Monday of each month at the Main Library, 407 E. Chapman Ave. Orange.
- Marva Hitchcock, Trustee
- Patti vanVoorst, Trustee
- Steven Freeman, Chair
- Rebecca Martinez, Trustee
- Staff Representative: Library Director
Current and Previous Agendas and Minutes
An understanding and appreciation of the role of the public library in the community and in a democracy. Trustees should be Orange residents and library users and should value books and information delivery. Appointments to the five-member Board are made by the City Council.
Terms of Office
Each term is for three years, after which the board member must be re-appointed, per Education Code.
To represent the community's thoughts on library service so that library goals and objectives are reflective of community needs. Advise the Library Director and City Council on issues and services.
The mission of the Orange Public Library Board of Trustees is to support the Orange Public Library, and work in partnership with the library staff to provide programs and resources that seek to inform, educate, and enrich the Orange community, and insure the preservation of Orange local history.
The Orange Public Library Board of Trustees consists of five, City Council appointed trustees serving in an advisory capacity, and is established under the California Education Code Sections 18910-18927. The Orange City Council appoints trustees to staggered three-year renewable terms. Although the Board generally functions in an advisory capacity, it is responsible for library policies and regulations. Monthly meetings of the Board of Trustees are open to the public, and are subject to the provisions of the Ralph M. Brown Act and the Orange Public Library Board of Trustees By-laws.
To fulfill this mission, the Board of Trustees’ goals include:
- Strengthen the position of the Orange Public Library as the information center for the community
- Develop and approve policies and regulations that reflect the needs of Orange residents and governs library services
- Advocate literacy for all ages
- Seek input from the public to determine their wants and desires
- Help promote and expand the unique, community generated collection in the Local History Center
- Work with the library staff in the vision, planning and goal setting for the Library’s future
Extend the scope and reach of the Library, outside its physical facilities and traditional physical collection, including alliances with business, educational organizations, and civic groups
Work and coordinate resources with library support organizations, including the Friends of the Orange Public Library and the Orange Public Library Foundation