1890s

1890


Orange's population: 866. Approximately $900 is spent on the Plaza Park in 1890s for trees, flower gardens, and benches.
Historical Photo - town plaza

1891


Four blocks from the Plaza, Depot Park is laid out next to the Santa Fe Depot on 1.7 acres of land.

1893


Orange County Fruit Exchange is incorporated November 13 as a cooperation system for marketing citrus fruit. The original location is at 121 South Glassell.

1894


Orange Free Public Library is established. Librarian: Mrs. J. L. McCampbell.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1896


The Tolle brothers reactivate the Orange-to-Santa Ana streetcar line with a steam-powered model, which could travel to the Plaza at speeds up to 5 miles an hour. Because of its shrill steam whistle, it is often referred to as the Orange Dummy or Peanut Roaster.
  
  
  
  

1899


Watson's Drug Store opens. First motion picture is shown in Orange.
Historical Photo - Man and Woman posing for photo
Historical Photo 039
Historical Photo - bar stools at establishment