The Cypress barrio was firmly established by 1920. The neighborhood was bounded by Walnut Avenue to the north, Palm Avenue to the south, Glassell Street to the east and the railroad tracks to the west. Another small neighborhood grew up around the 100 block of North Cypress (El Otro Barrio/The Other Barrio). The residents that settled in the Cypress barrio were primarily from the central plateau of Mexico; the states of Jalisco, Michoacan and Zacatecas. They came to Orange to work, because they had family or friends here, and to escape harsh times following the Mexican Revolution of 1910. There was a strong sense of community and connection between residents and families.
This page displays a sample of the photographs collected during the Shades of Orange project. The entire collection is available from Orange Public Library's Local History photo database, use the search phrase Shades of Orange to view the entire collection. Add an additional search word (like a name) in the second search box to narrow the search.