Claims, Summons, Subpoenas

Claims Against the City

Claims against the City may be made by completing a Claim for Damages form and returning an original signed copy to the City Clerk’s Office. City staff cannot provide legal advice to any person concerning a claim against the City. Any person wishing to submit a claim is encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney of their choosing.

Completed claims must be mailed or delivered to the City of Orange, City Clerk Department, 300 E. Chapman Avenue, Orange, CA 92866.

Alternatively, claims may be filed electronically. On August 10, 2021, City Council adopted Resolution No. 11347 authorizing the City to accept electronically filed California government claims to the City of Orange pursuant to Government Code Section 915. To submit a Claims for Damages form electronically, please click here

For questions or concerns, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (714) 744-5500.

Summons and Subpoenas

The City Clerk accepts service for summons and subpoenas relating to City business (except for subpoenas relating to Police matters which are accepted at the Police Department). The City Clerk does not accept lawsuits which names only an individual and for which the City is not named. Subpoenas for City records should be served on the Office of the City Clerk. The Office of the City Clerk is located at 300 E. Chapman Avenue, Orange, CA 92866. Subpoenas for police records should be served on the Orange Police Department. Subpoenas for the appearance of City employees in matters related to the City should also be served at the City Clerk’s Office.  All witness and record fees required under California law must be tendered with the subpoena.