Library Board of Trustees
- 3:30 pm
- Typically held the third Monday of each month unless otherwise noted at the Board of Trustees' annual meeting.
- Orange Public Library & History Center
407 E. Chapman Ave.
Orange, CA 92866
- Rebecca Martinez, Chair
- Susie Huber, Vice Chair
- Joseph D. Valencia, Trustee
- Steven Freeman, Trustee
- Peggy L. Calvert, Trustee
- Staff Representative: Library Director
Current and Previous Agendas and Minutes
An understanding and appreciation of the role of the public library in the community and in a democracy. Trustees should be Orange residents and library users and should value books and information delivery. Appointments to the five-member Board are made by the City Council.
Terms of Office
Each term is for three years, after which the board member must be re-appointed, per Education Code.
To represent the community's thoughts on library service so that library goals and objectives are reflective of community needs. Advise the Library Director and City Council on issues and services.
The Board of Trustees works in partnership with library staff and support groups to represent, inform, educate and enrich the Orange community, and ensure the preservation of local history.
The Orange Public Library Board of Trustees consists of five, City Council appointed trustees serving in an advisory capacity, and is established under the California Education Code Sections 18910-18927. The Orange City Council appoints trustees to staggered three-year renewable terms. Although the Board generally functions in an advisory capacity, it is responsible for library policies and regulations. Monthly meetings of the Board of Trustees are open to the public, and are subject to the provisions of the Ralph M. Brown Act and the Orange Public Library Board of Trustees By-laws.
Objectives, Actions, and Activities
To fulfill this mission, and strengthen the Orange Public Library’s position in the community, the Board sets annual objectives that work in conjunction with their ongoing actions and activities.
- Work with the Library Director and the community to develop a vision for the Library’s future, with special focus on community library locations.
- Advocate strengthening programs to achieve literacy for all ages.
- Partner with the Library Historian to help promote and expand the unique, community generated local history collection.
Ongoing Actions & Activities
- Continue to develop relationships with local educational organizations, including but not limited to: Orange Unified School District, Santiago Canyon College, Chapman University, and any other public or private education institution or homeschooling families.
- Approve policies and regulations that reflect the needs of the community, and govern library services.
- Seek input from the public to determine their wants and desires.
- Collaborate with library staff for local community outreach.
- Extend the scope and reach of the Library, beyond its traditional collection and facilities, including developing alliances with local businesses, civic groups, and educational organizations.
- Work with the Friends of the Orange Public Library and the Orange Public Library Foundation to coordinate resources and library support.