Other Permits & Licenses for Business

Alcoholic Beverages

If you plan to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board at 714-558-4101 for further information.

Federal Employer Identification Number

Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 for a Federal Employer Identification Number or visit the federal IRS website. The IRS will provide a Business Kit, seminars for new businesses, additional information and forms.

Fictitious Name Statement

If your business name does not include your surname or if the business name suggests that there is the existence of additional owners, you must file a fictitious name statement at the County Clerk's Office. You may contact the Orange County Clerk's Office at 714-834-2889 to obtain information on how and where to file.


If your business intends to prepare and/or sell food of any type, even pre-wrapped, you must complete an application for a Health Permit. To obtain a permit, Contact the Orange County Health Care Agency at 714-433-6000 or at:
1241 E Dyer Road
Suite 120
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Seller's Permit

Your business activity may require a Seller's Permit (Retail Sales Tax Number / Resale Number) from the State Board of Equalization. You may contact them at 949-440-3473 to confirm the need for such a permit. Please provide a copy of the Seller's permit showing an Orange address with your application for a Business Tax Certificate.

State of California Consumer Affairs License

You may be required to obtain a State of California Consumer Affairs License for your specific type of business. Information can be obtained at State of California Consumer Affairs or by calling 800-952-5210. The City of Orange requires you to disclose this number on your application.

One-Stop Shop

Go to the Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development website for "one-stop" state, local, regional, and federal permit, licensing and tax requirements.

For more information please call 714-744-2270.